Known in classical times as Tibur, Tivoli is located a mere twenty miles from Rome (roughly a half-hour drive) on the lower slopes of the Sabine Hills. Although older than Rome (supposedly founded four centuries earlier) Tivoli was eventually subjugated by the Eternal City like the rest of Italy and the then-known world. By the end of the 1st century B.C., besides being a quarry for the Roman travertine stone used to build so many of the ancient monuments including the Colosseum, Tivoli had become a popular resort among wealthy Romans because of its mild climate, wonderful panoramas, and the presence of an oracle, the Sybil Albunea. Sallust, Cassius, Trajan and Hadrian are only a few of those who had built lavish holiday residences in the area.
This popularity lasted through the centuries, and to this day Villa D'Este is one of the most remarkable and comprehensive illustrations of Renaissance culture. Our trip to Tivoli is a magical journey into this 'giardino delle meraviglie' that enchants its visitors with lush vegetation, mazes and hundreds of gurgling fountains.
If you have already seen Villa d'Este or have a keen interest in the ancient Roman world, you may choose to visit Hadrian's Villa instead. Commissioned by the Emperor Hadrian in the 2nd century AD, the Villa combines the best elements of the architectural heritage of Egypt, Greece and Rome in the form of an 'ideal city'.
Add one hour to the tour and you will be able to see both Villa d'Este and Hadrians villa .
Admission fees to the gardens and to the Villa are not included.
Read about the site
- Villa d'Este or Hadrians Villa
Complete information including our phone numbers, meeting time and place are included in your confirmation voucher.
Please give your voucher to the driver at the end of the tour. We hand select our drivers and tour guides in order to give you the ultimate experience. We would love to hear from you after your tour is completed.
Your feedback is very important to us so please Send email
- This tour includes a professional informative English-speaking driver. Due to strict Italian laws & regulations that protect officially licensed guides, our drivers cannot walk with you into any site but can answer any question you have from the vehicle. A professional licensed guide, where needed, can be hired on request at an extra cost.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended.
- The tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestions but always covering mentioned sights.
- Keep an eye on your wallet and purses at all time. Do not wear jewelry or carry large amount of cash.
- Professional informative English-speaking driver
- Private vehicle with pick up and drop off at your hotel
- Flexible itinerary
- Admission fees please consider about 15 euro per person per site
- Tips to driver and guide ( please read below for more information)
Tips are never included in our quotes.
I think that a tip shouldn't be included in the rate otherwise it would be a tax.
Tip only if you really liked the service.
Tips are a personal gesture and are given whenever the client feels it is necessary.
Tips are generally: 10% not bad - 15 % great - 20 % best tour in my life. Please report any abuse.
In Associazione con Agenzia di Viaggio e Turismo Driver & Tours di Driverinrome Societa' Cooperativa a R.L.
Licenza rilasciata dalla Provincia di Roma Numero 32888/15. Partita Iva 13627291001
Tel. (+39) 066244373 - US number (315) 544-0496 - Whatsapp: (0039)392 4468283